Best of 2012

Oh, hello there.  I missed you too!  Aauugghh, STOP IT.  I know.


It's been a painful hiatus, but if anything can get me out of the funk, it's the year-end list.  As always, the list is just a snapshot of my year in music; I've never been more off my game and am sure my critical faculties abandoned me long ago.  Even I think my list is weird.  But this is what tickled my fancy in 2012.  Truthfully, I was uninspired by music for extended stretches of this year, but you put together a list like this and wonder how that's possible...  

Ima Numba One Stunna

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange.  I can't believe I even considered anything else.  There is nothing else.  Channel Orange owned this year and easily settled itself among my favorite R&B albums ever.  Sh!%, I never even realized what my favorite R&B albums were until this bad boy came along and got me thinking.  Mr. Ocean's year out of the studio doesn't hurt the cause either.  Hard not to love this kid.

The Noble Challenger

Quantic & Alice Russell with the Combo Barbaro - Look Around the Corner.  This album won the sentimental vote and definitely filled our apartment more than any other this year.  Quantic just keeps getting better at what he does, and this time around, he found the perfect muse for his signature blend of latin- and funk-inflected soul.  

#s 3-9, in no particular order

Poliça - Give You the Ghost
Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself
Chris Cohen - Overgrown Path
Cat Power - Sun
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Lambchop - Mr. M
Chromatics - Kill For Love

#s 10-25, in no particular order

Hospitality - s/t
Jessica Pratt - s/t
Tanlines - Mixed Emotions
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes
Ariel Pink - Mature Themes
Beach House - Bloom
Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Lower Dens - Nootropics
The xx - Coexist
Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man

Individual Awards

Jam of the Year: Frank Ocean - 'Super Rich Kids'
Best non-album single: Radiohead - 'Daily Mail'/'Staircase'
Album I most want to hear live: Beach House
Most intriguing: Daughn Gibson - All Hell
Biggest disappointment: Bjork - Biophilia
Best opening tack: Walkmen - 'We Can't Be Beat'
Guaranteed Starbucks pleaser: Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again
Go-to good time: Tanlines
Best soundtrack: Drive OST
Best archaeological dig: Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram
Biggest what have you done for me lately victim: Cloud Nothings
Doin it for me lately: Jessica Pratt and Bat for Lashes
New obsession: Tom Waits catalogue (thx MA)
Best week o' shows: 4/16: Horrors @ Bimbo's; 4/17: WU LYF @ Independent; 4/19: Wild Beasts @ Independent; 4/20-22: Coachella
Not so guilty pleasure:  Ellie Goulding - 'Anything Can Happen'
More importantly, what were you listening to in 2012!??  I'd love to know...

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.