Listen to: Janelle Monáe

As a sort of follow-up to my Lady Gaga-Madonna post, I offer you a different kind of pop star, Ms. Janelle Monáe.

I don't really know where to start, so I'll let the videos speak for themselves. You'll see the moves, the ambition, the style, the looks, and yes, the completely ridiculous story lines. She just released The Archandroid, part two in a sci-fi concept album trifecta about a kind of droid messiah from the future. And with a perfectly straight face. Do you really need to know more!?

Well, there's more than meets the eye - the album itself is wildly ambitious and mostly successful. 'Tis nary a music genre that can't be found somewhere in its 18-song arc. The obvious comparison, in a lot of ways really, is Andre 3000, although I wouldn't dare put her in that category yet. Regardless, she's obviously a student of music, and that's what I think separates her most. That, or the shoes.

From her debut, Metropolis: The Chase Suite...



And the new single...



Other miscellaneous thoughts:

1) Ahhhh! She gives me the goosebumps.
2) $20 for the first person that shows me a serviceable Tightrope.
3) A couple years ago, I was flying in the seat next to a guy who is something like a co-manager of the arts collective (Wondaland) with which Monáe has been running. And not only did he wax poetic about her talent, but he insisted she's exceptionally nice and humble. There's really nothing not to love.

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.