QOTD: Jolie Holland

"Gimme that old fashioned morphine.
What was good enough for my grandpa...
is good enough for me."

Sometimes I come across an artist that makes me wonder how on Earth I could possibly not have been exposed to her before. Until I found Jolie Holland on my computer, I don’t think I had ever even heard the name. Somehow, her two albums got imported to my computer from my roommate, ML, and I just stumbled on to them the other day. Her first album, Catalpa, caught my ear; I was charmed, pleasantly surprised. So I moved on to Escondida, and that's when I thought, 'whoa. hold up. girl, where you been all my life?'

I imagine some might find it a bit contrived - I'm pretty sure she's feigning a Southern accent half the time - but I'm a sucker for this kind of music. Jazzy, quirky, soulful, and just old school smooth. A girl born into the wrong era, probably loves Kerouac. Songs about San Francisco. Music made for record players. Clarinets and jazz mutes. It's real simple, people.

Real nice find, ML.

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.